Wa-hoo! Tomorrow, Tuesday October 23, kicks off the WLA pre-conference activities! After a year of planning, we’re excited for all of you wonderful attendees to descend upon the Radisson Hotel and La Crosse Center and share with us the awesome speakers, wonderful programs, and fun events we have in store.
Here are a few last-minute tips to think about when packing for the conference:
1. It’s gonna rain– and not just librarians! According to this week’s weather forecast, it’s going to be a soggy one. Luckily, there is an inside sky walk that connects the Radisson to the La Crosse Center; so nobody should actually melt, whether they are Wicked Witches or simply so sweet they are made of sugar. There are, however, a few activities outside of this main area, such as the sure-to-please WLA Foundation fundraiser at the Pump House and Amelia Klem Oestrud’s talk taking place at the fabulous Pearl Street Books. Make sure to pack that stylish umbrella in case the sky doesn’t want to cooperate.
(Also, the Tweet Crawl MIGHT experience a slight change of location based on the weather. Be sure to follow @WLA12Local on Twitter for updates!)
2. $$$ Talk: Our locally grown economy is what makes La Crosse so unique. But at the same time, many of the great places to eat and drink downtown don’t take cards. We have lots of ATMs in the area, but pack some cash to save on the transaction fees.
3. Keep Calm and Stay Cozy: It’s going to be unseasonably warm during the day outside, but the inside temperature is a different story. Be sure to bring a comfy sweater in case you need it. Also, the La Crosse Center is a large place, so a pair of supportive shoes will definitely come in handy when you’re navigating among programs.
4. Batteries Included: This is something that I ALWAYS forget, so I wanted to include it for anyone like me: PACK YOUR CHARGER, SARA M. BRYCE OF LA CROSSE PUBLIC LIBRARY. (you’re obviously allowed to insert your own name and place of employment when you’re talking to yourself).
Additionally, all general questions will be answered as quickly as possible if you tweet them to @WLA12Local, the Twitter account of the Local Arrangements committee. This can only happen successfully, however, if your mobile device of choice isn’t tragically devoid of juice! Speaking of, the WiFi password for the La Crosse Center is wamowamo
5. Bookmarks–not just for books anymore!: Make sure to bookmark this blog as well as the WLA conference page on your mobile browser, so you have the low down on the programs as well as events and parking.